In Kenya the wedding reception is an elaborate affair full of pomp and colour. This marks the beginning of much song and dance and there is never a dull moment. For the Kenyan groom, getting a wife is a big event and this brings with it a new status in society one of much respect.
10. Once the wedding ceremony is over guests are directed to the reception. In most scenarios the guests have a map on their invitation cards to direct them to the venue. There should be an MC. at the wedding reception to direct the guests on where proceed for their refreshments.
9. Ushers are at hand to guide the guests to their seats. The MC. Should be a lively and jovial person and he should keep the party going and make people happy. Make the right choice for an MC. and have a memorable wedding.
8. The ideal wedding reception have all the appropriate facilities like washrooms which are easily accessible . High standards of hygiene should be exercised to keep such facilities clean due to human traffic. In Nairobi mobile washrooms are available on hire.
7. Most reception venues are garden areas and it is advisable to hire tents to protect your guests from sun or rain. Ensure the area is free from noise caused by airplanes or hooting vehicles. Try to hold your ceremony and reception in close proximity to each other to make it easier for guests.
6. The venue should have the same décor as the wedding theme. This is important because the photographs later on will tell a story about your wedding. It would be wise to engage the services of an experienced wedding planner who will bring out the theme and mood of your wedding.
5. Music is an integral part of the Kenyan weddings. In Nairobi musical groups are hired to bring life to the occasion. Enlisting the services of a D.J to play the right kind of music for this event will be more than welcome. Tradition takes centre stage in such events with the incorporation of local music by the guests themselves who celebrate weddings with vigor and style. Engage the services of a photographer and video grapher.
4. The reception venue should have ample space to accommodate more guest than is expected. Kenyans are generous at heart and food should be in plenty with a wide variety to choose from. The menu should allow for those guests with dietary/medical needs to get the food that suits them.
3. Most importantly, it would be wise to have a service agreement or contract which will include terms of hiring the wedding venue. The does and don’ts should be clearly stipulated.
2. Engage Security personnel but with a light touch. It is important to put your guests at ease to enjoy the occasion.
1. Always remember to set aside some money for unforeseen expenses like loss of cutlery , use of stand by generators, extension cables .