Kenyan weddings are mostly religious and the ceremony take place in a church or in place of worship. Garden weddings are gaining popularity and are proving to be cost effective . Working out on every detail from the décor to food and from flowers to location is important for making the wedding ceremony successful.
10. On the big day the groom and bride should try their best to remain relaxed. There should be reliable personnel on the call to co-ordinate and confirm that everything is proceeding as planned.
9. The guests arrive early and get seated as they wait for the ceremony to begin. At this point they each get a copy of the programme for the day which should allow for at least 30 minutes for them to settle down.
8. The procession to the church begins early for the groom and grooms men. Most wedding ceremonies in Nairobi take place on Saturdays. The churches are a beehive of activity and keeping time is of great importance for the clergy. For those who wish to be unique and have ample time for their wedding, Friday would be a great day for this life changing event.
7. The bride arrives at the church accompanied by her parents who officially hand her over to the groom in the presence of his parents. This can be a very emotional moment for the bride. The ceremony then begins with priest or pastor taking over the wedding nuptials. It would be great to add flavor to the ceremony by having the bride and groom say their vows in their own words.
6. Nairobi weddings are colourful and eventful once the vows have been exchanged , the mood in the church changes to a more jovial one where music is incorporated and the real celebration begins. Kenya has a rich variety of cultures and you could personalize your ceremony with elements from both your backgrounds.
5. Enlist the services of a professional photographer to capture every moment of the ceremony and especially as the bride and groom take their vows. A video camera would be great to relive those glorious moments later on. Ensure photos are taken of the bride and groom with family members outside the church.
4. The MC. Directs the guests where to proceed for the reception by giving directions and organized means of transport if available.
3. Transportation for the bridal party should be at hand to take them for the photo session and light refreshments. The location has to be well thought out to avoid getting caught up in traffic. Locate a venue with well manicured lawns, lush green grass and lots of flowers.
2. The MC. Is the lifeline of the party he is responsible for a variety of tasks. He must be a fast thinker with immediate solutions to problems that may arise during the event.
1. With the wedding ceremony coming to a close, it brings with it moments of relief, joy and accomplishment.